Friday, July 13, 2007

Who is my neighbour

When thinking about who is our neighbour, what came to mind is the current myth of self-sufficiency. I buy my products with my money and it is my right to enjoy them for my own purposes. right?

We still maintain the good habit of thankfulness to God when we say grace, but what does this mean in our disconnected world? And so I came up with my children's address.

I will bring several aluminium cans of lemonade and ask the children about what it means to say grace (They already know about this).

When they say it is giving thanks to God, I will ask if the person who purchased it had served God, and the how about the people who made it.

My working life had been in the aluminium industry, and I will show them my old work uniform and explain to them how thousands of people contributed to making the can. In one can of soft drink we have thousands of neighbours, who have contributed to our lives and us to theirs.

We then will prayerfully drink glasses of lemonade together as we thank God for all the people who helped made it.

Prayerful consumption as a way of recognising neighbourhood in a seemingly disconnected consumerist society? Hmmm, its almost crazy enough to work.

No comments: