Wednesday, July 25, 2007

It is finished?

It's been a while since I blogged, but I've been working on my congregation's web page.

Yesterday we had a ministry team retreat and were encouraged to think on God, God's ability to change us and the acceptance of our own humanity.

The final session used (among other things) some writing by the martyred Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador titled "A Future Not Our Own" (You might want to Google it).

When I read this I was reminded of the words of Jesus on the Cross, "It is finished."

This is ridiculous, almost offensive!

Jesus entered his ministry proclaiming the words of Isaiah, yet at the time the one who claimed to be the bringer of that grand proclamation is hung, broken on an instrument of torture. Mission accomplished?

The world moved on, people were still lost, hungering, thirsting, sick and imprisoned.

At that moment, Jesus was mindful of his own humanity. He was in a body, at one moment in time. He had one set of legs, one heart, one mouth, yet Jesus changed the world beyond description. it still is an object of wonder to me that Jesus submitted to death, the ultimate acceptance of humanity. His earthly ministry was finished, but God's work in the world continued, and continues...

Are we humble enough to accept the limitations of our own bodies and situations? This is not a cop out, we are called to be bold and audacious for the gospel. On the other hand, are we like Christ, humble enough to accept that we have only a limited part in God's plans? I will die, but God's plans will live on without me. I can take risks, because God's plan will not stand or fall on my witness. A call to work with diligence, but without fear, is one that is well worth listening to.

No comments: