Saturday, July 14, 2007

Goodbye minister, mentor and friend

This morning I have received news that the person originally appointed to be my field education supervisor has passed away after over six months of incapacitating illness. He is part of the reason why I started the blog with its title, as he encouraged me to retain my connections with science as something that gives a particular distinctiveness to my ministry - and to contribute to the diversity of the church.

It is both good news and sad news, and I feel very much for the congregation and his family, but I cannot get past the enormity of the change of attitude towards death we have in Christ.

I feel grief and loss, the absence of a wise man who had contributed so much, and held the potential to contribute more to my formation in ministry.
Yet I cannot get past his gain and legacy, the people he changed and his work that lives on.

I feel pain, the recognition of human existence, the mortality of myself and those I love.
Yet I cannot get past the joy for a friend's life lived in Christ to the end.

I feel the absence of a leader, a man who was sure that Christ leads us on into the world and constantly called us to look for our own signposts.
Yet I cannot get past the fact that he has run his race, and is receiving his reward, but the road leads on for us all. Our work is not yet done, we have our own joys and sorrows to face.

I feel loneliness, never again to meet in this world with a man with a huge capacity and openness for love, and particularly think of those who were most close to him at this time of loss.
Yet I cannot get past the joy of a faithful man who gets to sit at the feet of his master at last.

Goodbye minister, mentor and friend.
See you later, once my own race is run...

1 comment:

Bunsen said...

I went to the funeral today. It was great to join in a celebration of his life with so many people who felt similarly.