Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Youth and Children as a reality check

Sometimes I think we just get too accustomed to the Biblical narratives. There is nothing like the response of a young person to a biblical passage to shock and awe us anew.

I can remember once getting a youth group to perform a dramatization of the parable of the talents for a Presbytery meeting where I was leading the Bible study. At the end of the run-through a young woman was visibly shaking with anger... "Are you going to explain this to us? You need to explain this to us! The others all gambled and Jesus went off at the one who played it safe!"

Yesterday the RE lesson for grade 7 was based on the story of the prostitute (and, yes, that is the title used in the resource) washing the feet of Jesus. As soon as I used the title a boy's hand went up, "are you allowed to use that word in school?" After reassuring, I moved on and after talking about Jesus allowing this woman to wash his feet I asked the class if they would let that sort of person get that close to them. A girl in the back row visibly cringed and shrunk back into herself. I think she gave the right answer, as did the rest of the class in quite strong voice immediately after. I'm not sure that I have enough love to let the prostitute wash my feet either... I can only hope God continues to teach me how to love.

No comments: