Wednesday, October 15, 2008

On Ordination as distinct from lay ministry

Yesterday I had a discussion about ordination with a minister who works with a large, commissioned, predominantly lay team. The inevitable question arose regarding the difference between lay and ordained callings. The minister's response was plain, "I have thought about that, but I am what I am and how they understand their ministry is not up to me."

For me, the decision to seek ordination was for the reason that the work God was calling to me to do was going beyond my authority and my training. As such the process towards ordination has been equally as important for me as the end result. Yet I have friends that feel called to develop their training but retain lay occupations and not seek ordination. How are we to understand this development in God's activity in the world?

The key difference raised by the minister was recognition by other denominations. It is a great sign for ecumenicalism that certain priests are willing to use UCA ministers as a standby for emergencies as the UCA's ordination is into the church universal. This is different to that of our lay specified ministers, as they are commissioned only within the context of a congregation or ministry.

Perhaps I'm finally coming to an understanding of ordination that ties things together a bit. So here's a few points (any discussion)

Ordination is an act of obedience of the church to God where it sets aside people for spiritual leadership.

As such, it is a celebration of the activities of God in the past, present and hope for God's activity in the future of the church.

The call on the individual, and the church's recognition of that call, are both key to ordination.

As such, there is recognition of God's activity in the prior life of the ordinand, celebration of the presence of God in the present, and an anticipation of God's further work in the ordinand.

This is only a developing thing, but it shows the need to hold together that ordination is an action of the church, but it is an action performed in obedience that is a sign of faith and celebration in God. As the final minister put it, " I can still feel those hands upon my head." In ordination we have a recognition of the faith that the church has in God when they accept people to fill this style of leadership, and the faith that the individual holds to accept it. It is obvious talking to these ministers from many different styles of placements, that ordination serves as a constant reminder of this faith that serves as a touchstone by which their whole ministry is shaped.

I am thankful to all those who assisted me in these discussions.

No comments: